Teaching vs. Simon Says

One of my newer students, the lovely Kelly, gave me some wonderful food-for-thought today via her blog. From her very first class, I could see Kelly was a thoughtful student--she asked excellent questions, and gave good feedback verbally and physically when spoken to. So it didn't surprise me when she later told me she was herself a teacher; she teaches yoga. While I have heard nightmare stories from other teacher's experiences, I have found that some of my best students are teachers. They know what it takes to teach, and what is expected in a student. They are respectful and attentive, and my favorites: punctual and ask perceptive questions!

I have been reading some of her older entries this morning, particularly her older entries talking about her time as an officer in the Air Force. I came across her post about the first time she taught yoga, and I thought you might enjoy her insightful reflections on what it means to be a teacher. Enjoy!

I remember the first time I taught yoga. I was deployed to Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. It was December of 2002 and I'd been there for a couple of weeks. I'd finally plucked up the courage to take my yoga mat and my copy of David Swenson's Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual to the gym so that I could practice. I had informally practiced Ashtanga for a little while (using this book, a couple of classes, and a DVD), and brought the book along so that I could practice the Primary Series whilst deployed. At the time I wasn't sure if the book would get confiscated upon entering the Kingdom, due to the near-nakedness of Mr. Swenson in the photos (he wears the traditional "Iyengar undies" - sorry I can't find a link, but they basically look like a cotton diaper cover, with elastic legs and waist). So I snuck the book in. :-p

Anyway, I'd been spotted practicing in the gym and was asked if I would teach a class. Apparently there had been a lot of interest shown in having a yoga class, but there was no one to teach. I hadn't had any teacher training, so when asked if I would be the teacher I promptly and decisively said "No." I was reluctantly swayed, however, after we reached an agreement that participants in the class would be told that I was "leading them through a practice, not teaching them yoga." I felt very strongly about that, because while I knew that I could play Yoga Simon Says with whomever showed up, I knew that I lacked the skills to safely and appropriately teach to each individual's ability and needs. That concept is one of my guiding principals, and I'm thankful that even back then I recognized the important difference between going through some yoga moves with a yoga-bot at the front of the class and being taught the art and science of yoga by a trained, professional teacher.

Classes went well - twice a week - until the war got under way and my work schedule made it impossible for me to teach. That experience underscored for me the importance of having adequate teacher training - not just having experience practicing yoga - before truly becoming a teacher. Also, I may be the only yoga teacher who can honestly say that her first classes were taught while she was at war, and mean it figuratively as well as literally.


No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.