Quick and Easy Baby Hat (Now in the Round!)


Here is a simple baby hat pattern I adapted from Emma Waller's Quick & Easy Baby Hat. Hers is done flat and then seamed up the side, and I wanted to do mine in the round. So I adapted her pattern for circular knitting.

I love the spiral decreases at the top, and think it comes out a bit more polished done in the round than with a stitched seam up one side. For my knitting friends, enjoy! I hope to adapt this pattern for an adult this winter!


Quick & Easy Baby Hat
NOW IN THE ROUND!!


NEEDLES:Size 4 DPN's

YARN: I used Cascade Yarns 220 Superwash, a washable wool blend that is very soft and comes in a bazillion colors. Great for kid knits.

NOTES:
* C1 = "Create 1": insert left needle front to back under horizontal bar between stitches of the row below, picking it up, and then knit this to create a new stitch

When pattern says to "slip one stitch knitwise (rows 4, 9, & 13), it is to create a more jogless connection for the textured rows, so they create a more continuous stripe

PATTERN:
Cast on 73 stitches
Row 1: K
Row 2: P
Row 3: K2TOG, YO, until 3 stitches remain, K2TOG, K1 (72 stitches)
Row 4: slip first stitch knitwise, then K to end
Row 5,6: K
Row 7: K2TOG (36 stitches)
Row 8: P1, C1* (71 stitches)
Row 9: slip first stitch knitwise, then K to end
10: K
Row 11: K2TOG until last stitch
Row 12: P1, C1* (71 stitches))
Row 13: slip first stitch knitwise, then K to end
Rows 14-28: K
Row 29: *K10, K2TOG* repeat until end
Row 30: *K9, K2TOG* repeat until end
Row 31: *K8, K2TOG* repeat...
Row 32 *K7, K2TOG* repeat...
Row 33: *K6, K2TOG* repeat...
Row 34: *K5, K2TOG* repeat...
Row 35: *K4, K2TOG* repeat...
Row 36: *K3, K2TOG* repeat...
Row 37: *K2, K2TOG* repeat...
Row 38: *K1, K2TOG* repeat...
Row 39: *K2TOG repeat...
Row 40: *K2TOG repeat... (3 stitches)

FINISHING: Cut yarn and thread through remaining stitches. Pull to inside and weave in ends.

Thread a ribbon through the eyelets if desired (note that both ribbon ends should come out of the same eyelet to make a bow)

2 comments:

  1. I think this hat is so cute. What is the brim circumference? I noticed the original pattern uses a size 6 or 7 needle and lists a gauge of 5 stitches per inch. Did you switch to a size needle, because of your yarn. I have size 6 needles and am planning to use a merino wool. I'll do a gauge swatch to make sure my hat turns out the right size. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michelle Haigh Sorry, I now longer have the hat so can't tell you the circumference. I used size 4 needles and was using Cascade 220 because I was making it for a newborn.

    ReplyDelete


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.