Sirloin in Blue Cheese Sauce w/ Spicy Sugar Snap Peas


YAY for dinner of sirloin in blue cheese sauce, spicy snap peas, herbed potatoes, and a glass of delicious pinot gris that only adds up to 11 points total! Recipe and my changes after the cut.

Below these notes is the WW recipes that inspired what I made last night. But first! What I changed:

1) We split one small sirloin, a really really tender cut, so we had half of a usual serving of meat, but the richness of the flavor more than made up for it (and if you want tips on how to make the prefect steak in your oven, I can hook you up with Alton's magically simple instructions!!) We both felt satisfied.

2) For the sauce I only used 1.5 Tbsp low fat sour cream (and less than they called for), 1 oz. blue cheese, a tsp. of dijon, and a smattering of chopped parsley--no mayo no Worcestershire sauce. Since I was already doing "spicy snap peas", I didn't feel the need to have a spicier sauce on the meat. As a little final boost, I put the mix of sauce ingredients into the pan after taking out the beans, which put some of the garlic flavor into the sauce and melted it down into a nice creamy texture.
Note: I have made the meat/sauce recipe as-is before and it was delish, so using the recipe as-is is great if you don't want to try my changes.

3) For the beans, I made the WW "spicy sugar snap peas" recipe (listed below the first recipe). It was a huge hit! I have never seen Chris so eagerly "snap up" those peas!

The original meat recipe includes the beans in the points, so considering the smaller meat and less mayo/sauciness in the blue cheese sauce, I counted it as 8 points total.

4) I made a side of a boiled white potato with a 1/2 Tbsp of butter and a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash (our go-to spice is Garlic Herb, no salt added!), which we split. WW calculated it as 1pt.

5) Glass of wine: 2pts


SIRLOIN IN SPICY BLUE CHEESES SAUCE - 10pts per serving - 6 servings
2 pound(s) lean sirloin beef
1/3 cup(s) Dijon mustard
1/3 cup(s) reduced-fat sour cream
1/3 cup(s) reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 Tbsp store-bought horseradish
1 Tbsp blue cheese, crumbled
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
6 cup(s) green snap beans, steamed

Instructions

* Preheat oven to 425°F.

* Coat beef evenly with mustard and place in a baking pan lined with aluminum foil; roast for 35 minutes for medium doneness, or longer until desired degree of doneness.

* Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; chill until ready to serve.

* Slice tenderloin into 1-inch thick slices and drizzle with blue cheese sauce. Yields about 4 ounces of beef, 2 tablespoons of sauce and 1 cup of green beans per serving.

SPICY SUGAR SNAP PEAS - 1pt per serving, 4 servings
1 tsp olive oil
4 cup(s) sugar snap peas, trimmed
1 large garlic clove(s), minced
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste
1/4 cup(s) canned chicken broth
1/4 tsp table salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
Instructions

* Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir in sugar snap peas and garlic; increase heat to medium-high and stir in red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, until peas are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.

* Add broth, salt and pepper to skillet. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until broth is reduced to a glaze that just coats peas, and peas are cooked to preferred degree of tenderness, about 3 to 5 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.