My IKEA Kitchen, a year later

 

My Ikea Kitchen, a year later
It was Memorial Day last year when we went to the big no-tax sale at Ikea to pick up all our kitchen-makin' supplies. It seems like longer ago, honestly, but I think it's because our kitchen has slipped so beautifully into our lives, it's like it has always been there. And yet, honestly, I still frequently feel a wave of "wow I love my kitchen" wash over me when I walk in; a feeling swiftly followed by a wash of deep pride that we designed it, we created it, we made it happen with our own hands!

It amazes me what we were able to accomplish with little to no help. Basically the granite counters were the only thing we didn't do ourselves. We did all the measuring, planning/design work, demo and haul away, the plumbing, the flooring, painting, the electrical, and the entire installation (save for the counter) from building the boxes then installing them and the appliances to choosing and installing hardware and fixtures. I am just plain proud of what we did!

But the harsh reality I knew to be true has come to pass. The dreaded "it's been X months/years since our initial install, and it's still not done." Oh yeah. One can lose a lot of steam when every weekend for a couple months is all about the kitchen. So when you get it to a working state, it's easy to stay there. The little cosmetic details fall to the wayside, and before you know it, it's a year later and you don't have a backsplash, electrical wires are still jutting out of the wall where the "as soon as we find the perfect counter-lighting" will be installed, the Lee Valley corner unit still doesn't have a door on it, the trim is still uncut and sitting in the corner of the dining room, and don't even talk to me about plinths! Do I even remember what a plinth is at this point? (okay, I do, but seriously folks...do I need it?)

So far, most people don't even notice it's not finished! The raw wall behind the counters looks kinda art-y. We strategically place a pretty vase in front of the octopus-like exposed wiring (don't worry, that fuse is flipped) and appliances cover most of the rest. Who really looks at the trim anyway, and what the heck is a plinth again? What they do notice is the beautiful granite counters, still gleaming because we sealed them so lovingly and clean them regularly with a gentle cleanser to keep them shiny and lovely. Our appliances we chose so carefully still sparkle like new, and our fridge has had people walk up and hug and kiss it is is so beautiful (yes, literally hug and/or kiss it; and yes three completely unrelated people, one man and two women, at different parties did so--one even asked permission before wrapping her leg around it and kissing the ice dispenser readout).

And those are the dramatic moments of love. It is the little daily affirmations of love that are easily overlooked, but I will never take for granted. Drawers sliding so smoothly and quietly. Cupboards open and close effortlessly. Having storage space--things go away logically and even prettily. My husband and I being able to work in the kitchen at the same time (well, mostly--he still prefers to cook alone ;). Having more counter space. Drawer and door fronts which clean up easily but don't scratch easily. So many little things that are easy to forget, but I send a little prayer of thanks when I notice them.

So we still have work to do. When? I dunno. A house is a neverending list of to-dos, and we have a lot. Right now the yard is high on the list, and maybe when fall comes and we are back indoors we will refocus on indoor things. All I know is even unfinished, our Ikea kitchen blows our old kitchen away!

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.