When I Saw My Kingy Again...

When I saw my Kingy again...

Kingston was our toughest foster by far. Very wary of all new people generally, and fearful of men--he would bite them. He was such a sweet dog, though--smart and goofy and adorable. He loved his foster doggo friends, and he loooved my friend Amielle Love especially. He was playful, inquisitive, and a charmer. Except for that whole "men suck" vibe.

Chris was so gentle with him, and at times got to cuddle him. It was work every day. We had him the longest--8 months in our care. That's a LONG time in foster days, most of our dogs would be adopted in weeks, tops. But we had to find the RIGHT home for him before we could let him go anywhere.

Enter his family, with the husband--gentle Cameron--especially taking to him. Even though he could barely get anywhere near Kingston, Cameron fell in love. They were so patient with him. We did maybe a half dozen pre-visits with Kingston, to get him acclimated to his new home, family, and his big sister Momo who had issues with having to share her toys--let alone family--with anyone. But bond they did, and eventually he went to his new home.

We kept in touch for a couple years after. We would see Cameron--a paper artist--in Artist Alley at local cons occasionally as well. He got to tell us in person they were going to have a baby, and hoped we could come to the shower. We were excited to get to visit with them, celebrate, and of course, see Kingston again. Would he remember us?

Their typical plan when people came over was to put Kingy in an enclosure. So he could be around everyone and be included, but wouldn't lunge or bite anyone if he got scared. It was so at this party--they had a big 10 foot pen on the lawn with Momo and Kingy in it. Kingy was barking at anyone who came close, out of fear. And he did so when we approached.

I was respectful and kept my distance from the pen, just speaking softly and telling him how good it was to see him. Bark bark bark. Bark bark bark bark. "Don't come anywhere NEAR here!" he was yelling. I continued to tell him how glad I was he had a happy home. I was getting ready to walk away without getting to pet him, when something changed. He stopped barking, and his tail--hesitantly at first and then wildly--began to wag. I dared to come a little closer, and now he was jumping jumping jumping trying to get to me. I reached out a hand, palm down, and he kissed it and wriggled, so I took it as an invitation. I got to pet him, and leaned down for face kisses from my sweet little dude. Chris was there with the camera.

You can see miserable Momo in the background, not getting ANY of my attention she SO RICHLY DESERVES. Don't worry, she got a little petting, too. But seeing my Kingy again, and him remembering me after years apart? A magic moment. I am so glad I have this photo to remind me how precious these little creatures are. I look forward to fostering again someday.

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.