It's bad...

I woke up today in severe back pain. I got up to walk to the bathroom, and my foot stepped slightly on the corner of a soft dog toy, and it was enough to make me cry out in pain and fall into the door jam, grabbing on for balance. I had to admit that I need to go see the chiropractor NOW.

I called, and my gal isn't at the desk today (maybe she doesn't work there now...I haven't been in 6 months). She would always try to get patients in who are in severe pain, but this one just said there was nothing and I could come in Monday. I started to cry (that's always a bad sign--Sharon just don't cry much), but choked it back and said "If you have any cancellations today, please call me. I can be there in no time." She said she would and we just hung up.

So I have a weekend ahead of me in which I have many things I need to do (go to Ikea and get the backordered cabinets, cut down the 49" to 42", buy the trim for the kitchen, buy paint and paint all walls, order a dishwasher, etc) and want to do (Renee's birthday party, Kalia with mah gurlz), and I am not sure what, if anything, I am going to be able to do.

I at first was kicking myself thinking, "what have I forgotten about how to deal with this pain?" and then I remembered that I never really did have any plan for the pain other than the chiro. It was always strengthening exercises, never anything to relieve pain. So I may spend a good portion of the weekend on my back on ice packs.

The past few days I had already tossed around the idea of hitting up Renee to sub next week, just in case, but I have DeAnn assisting on Monday, so I am covered there, and on Wednesday I can just make better use of Erika. At least, that is what I am telling myself right now. It just got so much worse today, even walking around the house kills. Sitting kills. Standing kills. Laying down feels okay only if I have my right leg propped up a little. It's so weird.

I can't believe that next week will be the 1 year anniversary of this issue coming up. I feel like I am back at square one all over again today. That would be enough to make any grown woman cry...

(PS Lauren, how is YOUR back doing? I hope better!!)

UPDATE:
My chiro squeezed me in today at 2:30. Sure enough, it is my same issue cropped up again. He said it is not as bad as it was this time last year, but ....it's not good. He worked on me for a 1/2 hour, then put me in traction and then iced in traction for another half hour. When I left, I was just as bad, maybe even feeling worse, which has NEVER happened. I have always felt way better on leaving, and this time I could barely get up off the table. I cannot even walk without pain, going up and down stairs I have to literally pull myself and go a step at a time. I already had an appointment for 10am on Monday and he is having me keep it (duh), and has some other tools and tricks he is going to work with me on. In the meantime, I am supposed to lie my my stomach, propped up in an arch as often as I can, ibuprofin and ice twice a day, no bending forward and no lifting anything.

So I am typing to you from the floor in the living room, propped up in front to create an arch in my low back (uncomfortably, meh) as doc ordered. Chris is about to start painting, and is being a real trouper about the fact that I can't help him with anything this weekend. But I am reayd to scream or cry or both because I was so excited for getting to dig in and get my hands dirty this weekend...and I have to lie here instead.

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.