Shay's Hollandays...er...Hollandaise.

 I have yet to make a hollandaise at home. Well that's not entirely true. I attempted it once. It failed. My husband tried it one. It failed. So we never tried again and thought restaurant quality hollandaise was gonna have to stay in the restaurants.


But today Chris had a sous vide salmon holding to have with eggs for breakfast, and I decided to give hollandaise a try. And it worked!! I used a collection of recipes to kludge something together. A "guy on the internet" said induction stoves don't need to use double boilers because the low setting heat is so gentle, it won't curdle. And he used a hand mixer with the double blades. So I did that, to emulsify the melted butter streamed in at intervals.


Here's what I did:

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 eggs (room temp is best, one full egg, one yolk)
  • 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 Tbsp white wine vinegar 
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of cayenne
  • dash or white pepper
  • 1/2 cup butter (melted I used salted)



DIRECTIONS

Whisk egg and second yolk together with all ingredients except for the melted butter. Place in double boiler bowl or in small pan over low heat on induction. 

Continually whisk or mix with hand mixer until eggs begin to thicken and froth a bit. 

Stream small amounts of butter in at a time, mixing thoroughly before adding more. Sauce will thicken gradually, over about 2-3 minutes time. You can add more butter at a time as it starts to thicken, but if you're worried about breaking it, just keep it slow and at intervals until the end.

Best used immediately. If holding, put lid on and set off heat. Mine started getting a little seized after 20 minutes, but was still delicious. This makes quite a bit, maybe good for 5-6 plates of whatever you're dressing.


We had it with salmon and fried eggs for breakfast and it was AMAZING!!! Chris couldn't stop oohing over it. I am so happy I finally climbed this particular culinary mountain.

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.