Slow Cooker Shredded Pork

My favorite, easiest food-prep thing is making a giant pork shoulder--as big as I can fit in the slow cooker--shredding it, portioning some of it for this week and some for the freezer. This takes me about 10 minutes of prep on the front end, and 10 on the back to shred and portion. The rest is waiting on the slow cooker to cook it up, and at the end waiting for it to cool down before portioning.

Last week being Cinco de Mayo, the grocery store had large bone-in Boston pork butt on a wicked sale, so I got one. It was so big (around 6 lbs), I had to throw out a small hank of meat I could not get to fit in the slow-cooker and keep the lid tight. You can cut think into 2-3 hunks of meat if it helps to fit it into your slow cooker.

Rub with cumin, rosemary, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Cinnamon and any hot spice you like also goes well (cayenne, chili powder, whatever).

Place pork fat cap up in slow cooker.

Toss in 6-8 crushed garlic cloves, a rough chopped white or yellow onion, and if you have oranges and/or limes, juice one or both, and throw the orange peel in with it (never the lime peel/rind, it can be bitter).

Pour in a 1/2 to 1 cup of chicken stock, or water if you don't have that. If I know I plan to have this as carnitas, I will pour in a jar of green salsa as well minus some to put on the tacos later. If you want to keep it more neutral, just stick with the ingredients I already mentioned.

Cover. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, high for 5-6 hours. I try to go the full 10 whenever possible, or start with two hours on high, then drop to low to speed it up a little and land somewhere between these timings. Unlike some cuts of meat, I have never ever had any issue with going too long with pork shoulder when on low, so you can finesse this.

Pull pork out with tongs and transfer to a wide, shallow dish or baking pan to cool a bit. If you did it right, it will absolutely crumble to bits as you're pulling it out because it is so moist. Shred, then add back some of the cooking liquid and stir up.

IF EATING NOW:
If eating any or all of this now, put whatever amount you want onto a baking tray and you can throw this baby under the broiler to get some crispy bits going. Turn frequently with tongs to get more crispy bits. 

IF FOOD PREP FOR LATER:
If you don't plan to eat this now and just are prepping for days and weeks ahead, let cool enough to portion into ziplocks/freezer bags, label accordingly, and voila! You have a bunch of delicious meals done with minimal hands-on time. Just defrost and either crisp in a pan or under a broiler before serving with your desired accompaniments.

Serve up for tacos, burritos, BBQ sandwiches, whatever. I love to crisp some up and serve with avocado and a fried egg on top for breakfast. YUM!

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.