Pickled Red Onions for Pork Carnitas


I have discovered a deep, abiding love for pickled red onions with my pork carnitas. The sweetness and acidity is just a perfect accompaniment for the rich, meaty meal.

1 small to medium red onion
1/2 cup hot tap water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (can also use just white vinegar if you wish)
1-2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
sliced hot pepper of choice if you like a little heat



  1. Run your tap water as hot as it gets. Put 1/2 cup of hot water in a jar, then add 1-2 Tbsp sugar and the 1tsp salt. Put lid on and shake to dissolve salt and sugar. 
  2. Add 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar  and sliced pepper if using.
  3. Slice red onion thinly (mandolin is great for this--fast and consistent) and tuck into jar so it is covered by the liquid. Let it sit until it is room temp (5-10 minutes), then you can put the lid on and put it in the fridge until ready to use. Will keep about 2 weeks.

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.