Foster Letters - Kingston 2017

Going through paperwork today to get some old non-business filing taken care of, I came across this letter I wrote. As it says, I write letters to all the future forever families of our foster pups--included with a printed little "scrapbook" page of images of them--sharing personal tips on their behavior, needs, wants, etc, and sharing stories from their time with us. It is cathartic for me, but I also hope it helps get the new families and their new little member better acquainted and connected from day 1. This was the hardest, and longest, foster letter I ever wrote, but it was also the most joyful. He continues to thrive and be absolutely adored by his family, including a once jealous little sibling, the mighty pup known as Momo!


"Dear Cameron and Whitney, March 17, 2017

Something I like to do for all my fosters and their new families is write a little letter of introduction—I share some photos and thoughts about their new family member in the time we have been their loving caretakers. To say that this letter is harder to write for Kingston than it has been for any other dog in our care is an understatement.

One reason trying to write this letter is a challenge is, frankly, that you already know him so well. Rather than the usual hour or two of meet n’ greets that other new adopters get with their dogs before they take them home, you have had days with him. You have been briefed and debriefed about his habits, his quirks, his personality. You have had sleepovers with him showing you all the glowing characteristics I would usually gush about in such a letter, and you are also keenly aware of his unique challenges and have embraced him fully, lovingly, without judgement. What a lucky little dog he is to have you as his new family.

The other, obvious reason this letter is hard is because we have never had a foster for this long. Most have been a couple of weeks, and at every separation my heart has broken a little bit in the goodbyes (I wouldn’t call it easy, but it is so worth it!). We come to cherish our foster animals so deeply, getting to appreciate up-close their unique qualities and sweet dispositions. We think about all of them regularly, and frequently pore over the many photos we snap of our time with them. We are possessed of an exponential volume of memories we were blessed to get to create with Kingston and will have the joy of poring over in the years ahead, which makes the ending of our time with him that much more bittersweet.

We have watched Kingston grow from a fearful—yet ultimately rambunctious!—puppy to a sweet, curious, affectionate fellow. It took patience to build his trust, as you well know, but it has been rewarded with such tenderness. Every time I pass near him and he tilts his little hind leg up, turning his pink nose toward me, earnestly and silently begging for a belly rub, I know he has grown out of so many of his youthful fears. I call him my Circus Dog because he has always sought the highest point in any space to romp and explore—a railing, a table, a planting bed. Watch out for that one, as in this regard he truly can be fearless! He will zip in endless arcs across whatever grassy space he is set free to roam; a low, fierce white streak of joyful lightning one minute, then lightly bounding like a tiny gazelle over any obstacles. I will miss his plaintive, insistent bark/howls when he thinks Taddy is hogging all the tennis balls, and I feel confident you will have better success in the quest to teach him to fetch. “Why give you the ball when I can simply have the ball?” I imagine him asking with the tilt of his scruffy head. 

Giving Kingston over to someone else’s care was always going to be a trust fall for us. But I can say with complete honesty we are excited to see Kingston move on into your home and hearts. Your compassion for him, your patience and gentleness, and your positive energy are the exact combination of qualities he needs to thrive, and it is clear to me that you both offer these things openly, generously. It is with great confidence and joy that we see him go to his forever home with you and Momo.

Speaking of Momo, give my love to her, won’t you? Tell her it won’t be an easy adjustment at first, but I trust that she, too, will learn to love and cherish Kingston the way we and Winnie and Taddy have. He will be a great little brother given a chance, and will seem like family that has always been there in no time.

Thank you for loving Kingston. I hope you will keep in touch.
With love,
Shay"


No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.