What Game Made You a Gamer?

On BGG on FB someone asked this question, so I gave it a good think, and realized...there isn't just one game that turned me into a gamer. My family molded me into one since I was little.

It began with the usual Chutes & Ladders, Candyland, Mousetrap, and Hi Ho Cherry-O. Whenever I was at a friend's house, if it was a choice of toys or games, I wanted games.

Later it was also the typical Monopoly, Scrabble, Connect Four, Chinese Checkers, Chess, Battleship, Boggle, Stratego, Clue, Trivial Pursuit, and Life. Who didn't play things like Sorry, Aggravation, and Trouble? Operation was a fave, Yahtzee and Uno went on every camping trip.

From Etsy Seller Mythic Makings
Also ubiquitous in my youth was Cribbage, Pit, Risk, Othello, Waterworks, and many card games (Crazy 8's, Gin Rummy, etc). My parents would have friends over to play card games and drink until the wee hours.

With groups, it was party games like Pictionary, Outburst, Taboo, and Scattergories. Scene It came out when I was a kid, along with a rash of other games using your TV/DVD player. I took these kinds of games into college and "adult life" with me, along with newcomers like Cranium. I would hold parties just to play board games, which was not a "thing" in the 90's among my group. Tabletop gaming then was something more D&D/Vampire related. 

When I joined the SCA, Toblero, 9 Men's Morris, Mancala, Fox & Geese and more historical games became my obsession. I would design and create my own boards and pieces from carved or painted wood or sew and embroider them from colorful fabric and threads.

My Mom tried to implement a Thursday night family game night, but started it a little late when we were teens and resented it. LOL One tradition that stuck, though, was buying a new board game to learn and play on Thanksgiving after dinner.

I was surrounded by games my whole life! So it's hard to point to just one. But I can say as an adult, the two modern games that were pivotal for me was Akrotiri and Pandemic. Both made me go "Woah...wait...THIS is what gaming is like now?!" And it snowballed from there...

What about you? What games made you into a gamer?

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.