Moving closer to Me...

I am enjoying the evolution of Me.

Seems every year I get closer and closer to Myself. In little steps. I have always been on pretty good terms with Me, throughout my life, but oftentimes without knowing Why. That is, I didn't really know who I was, but I felt pretty good about whoever I was...

As I grow older, I am coming into my own in a way that I Know Who I Am better than ever before. It's kind of exciting to finally "get" what a lot of people were talking about when they said they loved turning 30 because they felt better about themselves than they ever had. A lot of people hated their 20's, feeling very confused and disconnected with themselves. I just didn't experience that, but it was because I didn't KNOW that I didn't know who I was. And here I am, discovering a little more about Myself all the time.

Getting my large back tattoo was more of a step in my life than I realized at the time. I knew I was doing something significant, but not the depth of it. Then the nose ring was another step. My hair was another. The outward Me that everyone sees keeps getting closer and closer to the Me I have gotten to know inside. And that is a very cool feeling.

This weekend was a joint step for Chris and I in moving toward who *we* are as a couple. As shallow as it may be/seem, it was painting our living room, but the paint is SYMBOLIC you see!

When we first moved into our house, we were living together for the first time. We were combining our hand-me-down bachelor-life furniture, and trying to kludge together the pieces of two different lives. We weren't sure who we were or what we wanted separately, let alone together! So I feel like our house kind of reflected that. It was bits and pieces we did our best with, and we painted the house a pretty neutrally to accomodate the mish mash. Looking back, I also remember choosing some of the colors because they seemed "mature"--we were a "grown up married couple" now, and it seemed important that our decor attempted to reflect that, however pathetically. LOL

Over time, "Our Style" has emerged. It is highly influenced by my personal style, being that I am The Woman, but Chris always has a say in these things, and really participates in ways that most men don't, so it truly is a reflection of both of us. We've collected more bits and pieces over the years which fit in with our emerging collective selves, and the house as developed more of a personality which speaks with our voice. It's been fun to see it happen in stages. This weekend, we repainted, and it was like a wash of US on the walls!! :)

The main color was one we had talked about for years, and as we discussed what we wanted to do going forward, how we want to redesign the room, new furniture we want to purchase in the coming year to rearrange and redesign our space together...and it feels like US. We looked around and were literally giddy with the results. SO US! And even better is that we are downsizing a bit, all over. Removing the useless clutter, downsizing the furniture, and upping the personal elements like art and pictures.

I guess I am rambling now, except to say that a seemingly small move like painting the living room reminded me how every day, I am getting to know Me better. And I am digging it. :)

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.