Was it worth it?

Story time:
Many years ago, Chris and I had an opportunity to go to Six Flags in SoCal. As a coaster fiend, I was so excited to get to go on many coasters I had only read about or seen on TV specials! But we only had a half day, so we needed to make the most of it.
We rode a few coasters and it was thrilling for me, but the day was already waning. The X coaster was the newest coaster, having been opened just that year, and employed technology that had never been used in coasters before, and I so so so wanted to ride it! The line was an hour, and we only had two hours left before park close. We knew we'd be giving up some other cool rides, but planned to ride X, then get in another ride or two before we had to go.
Well, as is the wont of new ride technology, it kept breaking down. A one hour wait turned into...a THREE HOUR WAIT. After the first hour, we weren't about to give up on trying to get on the ride. It kept coming online, a few people would ride, then break down again. By the second hour, the rest of the park was closed. They would honor all of us waiting in line, but there was nowhere else to go, and why waste TWO hours of waiting?
By the time the third hour was approaching, I was grumpy AF. My feet and back were sore. I was angry about the wait. I resented missing out on all those other rides. And now that we were closer to the entrance, we could see people exiting the ride. Nobody looked excited. They were walking off like blank zombies. Looked like a huge dud.
We got to the gates and were going to be the next to board. Chris leaned over to me and said, "Okay, I'm gonna ask you again when we get off. Is it worth the wait?"
"HELL NO!" I boomed. We didn't get to go on ANY more rides. We were sweaty and achey from standing around in the heat. No way is this going to be worth all this.
We got on and rode this brand new coaster, and when we got off...I understood. The reason no one seemed to be having a reaction was because they were in awe. They were stunned to silence--we were stunned silence--at what we had just ridden. It was the most incredible coaster experience I had had in my life to date and I couldn't even wrap my head around it or find a way to express what I had just experienced. "Was it worth it?" Chris asked. "Hell yes," I breathed.
So what I'm saying is, I hope our house project is like that in the end.

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.