Coconut Oil Experiments - shaving and moisturizing

Coconut Oil Experiment Report: I have been using coconut oil to wash my face the past few days, and so far so good. (If you want to read more about other experiences with this, check the links at the bottom of this post) Too soon to really say what the true results will be as my face needs to adjust to the change, which will take a couple weeks; and I want to get through a full monthly cycle to see how it does during different natural hormonal shifts as well.

But so far, face feels soft and clean, the "glow" everyone speaks up is absolutely real, and it smells fantastic without making me smell like a coconut pie.

In the shower this morning I extended the experiment to shaving. And to make for a real "test" I did one leg with the coconut oil and the other with my usual aloe/Vitamin E shaving foam. I also used the oil on one arm as a cleanser/moisturizer. Worked easily as a shave lotion. A little less convenient just because I have to emulsify it with my hands more and it doesn't spread as fast or easily as the shaving foam. But I was pleasantly surprised to see how smoothly and easily the razor ran over my skin. I had no razor burn, and my skin came out very smooth and automatically moisturized. In fact, wherever I put it, I felt very soft...but kind of "waterproof", since water beaded up and ran off wherever I put the oil. But it didn't feel heavy or look oily, and my skin still feels fine hours later.

I also used the coconut oil on my fingers and cuticles, which is lovely. I have used almond oil for this in the past, but it did leave my fingers feeling oily. The coconut oil, likely because it is not liquid at room temperature and this doesn't stay as slippy as other oils might, just leaves my skin looking happy and moisturized without being slick or shiny. Nice!

QUESTION for those who are following along and have been using coconut oil for their cleansing routines, do you continue to use a moisturizer? I wear a mineral makeup which has SPF protection so I don't need my moisturizer for the SPF properties like some people might. And I wonder if as my face acclimates to this if I won't need to have a moisturizer step? I did my makeup today without moisturizer and it went on great over my face washed with the coconut oil in the shower and nothing else (no moisturizer, no primer).

10 Amazing Beauty Tricks with Coconut Oil
How to Clean Your Face Naturally
The Nitty Gritty on the Oil Cleansing Method
and lots lots more links out there...go read some more!



No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.