Poached Salmon with Basil Sauce

**Please note: If you are reading this on Facebook, I am on a FB cleanse right now and I am not participating much. If you want to comment on this post, please visit my blog at http://thetribaldancer.blogspot.com/**

This recipe was dinner tonight. The first of the season Copper River Salmon came into Amazon Fresh on Thursday, and we snagged a couple filets to enjoy. We didn't have any parsley, but I assure you it was still delicious without it. Also I cooked the salmon skin-on, and the wine we used was not particularly dry, but worked great regardless. I slightly undercooked the salmon, then put it on a plate under tightly wrapped foil to cook the rest of the way during the set aside and "keep warm" portion of the recipe instruction, which worked out perfectly.

I am continually shocked that all the other ingredients we happened to have in the house. For a couple that didn't cook much until a couple years ago, the change in what we consider staples is pretty amazing.

Chris and I started an herb garden just yesterday, and we harvested a few leaves of basil for this recipe from the fresh starts. I am hoping that by this time next year, the side of potatoes and other ingredients will also come from our new vegetable garden we plan to start in the coming year. It's kinda cool that Chris is into all this. It is still so strange to me to want to dig in the dirt, but to have him by my side doing it (when his back allows ;) is a spot of joy and distraction during a difficult time.

Oh and definitely try this recipe! It's The Yum!

POACHED SALMON WITH BASIL SAUCE
1 tsp. butter
3 tbsp. minced shallots
4 (8 oz.) salmon fillets, skinned
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. Chablis or other dry white wine
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 fresh sprigs parsley
1 bay leaf
1/2 c. whipping cream
1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper (or a dash of pepper flakes)

Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle shallots over butter. Arrange salmon fillets in a single layer over shallots; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dot salmon fillets with 1 tablespoon butter. Add wine, parsley and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove salmon to a serving platter, and keep warm.

Bring liquid in skillet to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Remove from heat; remove and discard parsley sprigs and bay leaf.

Gradually add whipping cream to liquid in skillet. Return sauce to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until sauce is reduced to about 3/4 cup. Add basil, lemon juice, and red pepper; stir well. Serve salmon with warm sauce.

1 comment:


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.