Busy, busy, charmed life...



Been a busy time lately, but really good.
Last night was the first class of the "fall" season, and BOOM. I had over 40 students show up. I had to turn people away, and I felt awful about it. :( They were really nice about it, but it just kills me to have people show up and for me to say, "Thanks for coming all this way, but...". They stayed to try the class, and said they would sign up for a future class. And Kym was a huge help to make sure everyone could see someone. Thanks Kym! I don't know what I would do without my beautiful assistants!!

I was so happy some people dressed up! Katy was SO DAMN CUTE in her jester outfit, and Tami's saloon girl costume she made herself was awesome. Kym and DeAnn were orange beauties. I was in my Bollywood outfit through the first half of the evening, but during Basics II, my slickery shirt was making my pants slip down and I didn't want to have to keep hiking them up, so I swapped out my tee shirt. The whole evening was fun, and I had a ton of candy I had to take home at the end from all the offerings brought!

The weekend was rockin'. Three parties in two days, and more alcohol than I surely should have had, but much fun was had! Our partners in crime were Erik and Amy, who went as No 6 and No 9 from the Prisoner, which did my geeky little heart good. Some people even got it! It inspired Chris to finally try and do his Miss Hardbroom costume some year. Which means I could be Mildred, which I would love. :)

Friday night was Circus Contraption at the Showbox. I went as my can-can girl from last year, to give it some more "air time" since it only went out to one party last year. Despite the opening band going a little too long (but very talented and fun, no doubt), the night held a lot of energy and variety! The magic acts were fun (you know I loves the magic!), and lots of audience members in costume was great. My favorite was the group that did wicked martial arts and mock fighting mixed with amazing group juggling! It was incredible! I hope to see them again sometime. I ran into the beautiful trapecia at the bar, and really enjoyed reconnecting with her after many years. Sadly, Sharon-not-driving meant I didn't keep an eye on my drinking. And several doubles later (several being generous), I was begging to go home.
Which we did.
And I proceeded to puke my guts up.
Awesome, Sharon. Hot hot hot.

The good news (yeah yeah) is that you get all that nasty alcohol out, so you're not hung over the next day. Well, for the most part I was not hung over. I felt a bit off my game, and my tummy wasn't too keen all day, so we didn't end up going to Ikea as we had planned. Put it off for Sunday and rested up.

Saturday night was two parties: one at a friend of Amy and Erik's in Maple Leaf, and the other at Angela and Besh's over in Ballard. Party number one I was a tightrope walker, with my little skirt and ruffly panties, corset, black bob wig, and parasol. I had a couple favorite costumes, including the beekeepers who brought their dog dressed as a bee, and the guy who came as Lane from Say Anything complete with boom box, beige trenchcoat, and Adidas (which made me think we should plan an 80's movie costume party! The possibilities!). The night revealed many leiderhosen and Heidi's (more of the latter, as usual) and flapper girls. Their house was lovely, and the hosts continued a flashback theme by offering jello shots and beer pong. Oh Yeah.

On the way from party 1 to 2, I started to feel really ungood. Hot flashes and alternately feeling like throwing up versus tummy upset. I felt claustorphobic in my costume (in the little car, no less), and I realize that my carsickness was probably coming into play too. It wasn't alcohol or food--I ate and drank nearly nothing so far. So much to my embarassment, I asked Amy and Erik if we could stop by their house (which was just up the street) for a pit stop. I had brought a set of comfier clothes to put on later at Ang and Besh, which I changed into. But it wasn't a costume, and I couldn't show up to the party sans costume! So, bless-their-hearts, they drove us over to our house (we live only about 5 minutes apart) and I threw together a last-minute comfy costumes. I don't know when it happened that all my best costumes required restrictive clothing, like corsets and the like, but my options were limited. So I threw together a Bollywood dancer costume, with kameez, bangles, veil and Indian headdress over the top of my black wig. It was super comfy and pretty, and all was well.

The party was a madhouse when we arrived. The frat boys and girls from the house across the street were packing the place, so there were snow bunnies and hot schoolgirls and all manner of "the least I could wear=a costume". My favorite costume at this party was the cast of Karate Kid, including Daniel-san and the full complement of Cobra-Kai, including "BOW TO YOUR SENSEI". They had great gis, which one of thei guys had iron-on'd fabulous logos straight from the movie, and the girlfriends were dressed as the referees from the final match (which was also entirely studied and created down to the last detail). Loved it!!

Though there weren't as many of the usual suspects (and James and Steena, James and Queenie, and Jim all crapped out! BOO!), a good time was still had by all. There was a fun name game being played by the chimenea which I will have to remember for future parties, and everyone was very nice and friendly. Besh was overdue, but did finally hit us with Rocky Horror, and we Time Warped and sang and yelled, and ran and screamed all over the house throughout. Then we ran and screamed for no reason a couple more times because it was so much fun. Then Amy and Besh played DJ to our small rave in the living room, complete with homemade glow sticks which delightfully stained our fingers, and Besh continued to hand out shots served in various mad scientist-appropriate glassware. I kept a nice buzz all night--perfect. And though I told Amy and Erik they could go home anytime they were no longer amused, they stayed amused and added much joy to the evening, and we ended up all leaving together...at 6am! Well, it was 5am on the clock, thanks to daylight savings, but it was a long and wonderful party. Thanks to Ang and Besh for an incredibly fun night, and thanks to Amy and Erik for bein' rockin' friends throughout it all!

FABULOUS!

Sunday Chris slept until 4pm. I woke at my usual 11am, ate some crackers and cheese, and came back to bed to nap from 2-4pm, when I told Chris we had to get moving to Ikea. We were both pooped, but really wanted to get kitchen info. So we head down to Renton, and Chris actually wanted to peruse a little! YES! So we walked through the sample rooms at the beginning, and took our time right up to the Kitchens. We strolled and poked and talked and eyeballed and decided we really do like the Liljestad best for our house. We talked to an Ikean, and played with the planner tool, and walked around some more and looked at countertops and door pulls. We choked at the cost of Liljestad, and considered Applad Beige, and I left feeling a little deflated. We are both still in love with the Liljestad, but realize that if we go with it, it will cost a good $1-$2k more than we originally wanted to spend. I think we can do it. Chris has more reservations than me, but I am glad we are having a good dialogue about it. I hope we decide soon, so we can plow ahead. I admit, I am eager to get to the demolition! I want to tear out that wall and pull down cabinets and cover the house in dust! WAHOO!

Spring is going to be so crazy busy, I know that if we don't do this around now, it won't get done. And with Chris having time off around Thanksgiving and Christmas, it would be a great time to take advantage of our free time to hammer it out. So keep your fingers crossed for us!

This weekend Amy and Owen tie the knot, and we, her sisters, will be blessing their wedding with dance. I can't wait! And Sunday we have a game-date with James and Steena. Busy busy. But good!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.