An easy crockpot cassoulet, with chicken and canned beans. This was adapted from a recipe I found online.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-2" pieces
- 1 package Isernios hot Italian chicken sausage, steamed, then cut into 1/2" rounds (can use any sausage, really)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cans (about 15 ounces each) beans, rinsed and drained (like great northern, white beans, etc)
You can include just about anything in a cassoulet, so other optional ingredients such as carrots, bacon, corn, mushrooms or what have you are all possibilities!
Preparation:Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion to hot oil; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in chicken, sausage, garlic, & thyme. Cook 5 to 8 minutes, or until chicken and sausage are browned. Stir in tomato paste and water and coat all ingredients with the tomato paste, then transfer to slow cooker. Stir beans into the chicken mixture; cover and cook on LOW 4 to 5 hours.
Serve with crusty bread and butter.