Surprisingly good, surprisingly bad...

I don't remember seeing ads for this movie back when it came out (1998), but caught a moment when it was on TV, and had Tivo grab it. I really enjoyed it! Eddie Murphy is really at his peak when he is not doing uber slapstick--I like his gentler roles very very much. Jeff Goldblum is always remarkable to me--how can such a goofy lookin' man be so sexy? X-Factor at its finest.

Not surprisingly good-- nay, I expected it to be good: the original movie "The Producers"
Gene Wilder blew me away in this movie. I always liked the man, and found his uniquely quirky humor to my liking, but this movie was Gene Wilder at his finest. I really loved it. I expected it to be good, but had no idea I would enjoy it so much.

Surprisingly Bad: the latest version of "The Producers"
Nathan Lane is perfectly cast--I knew it before I saw it that he would rock the role. But Matthew Broderick was HORRIFICALLY BAAAAD! I ache it's so bad. Cheeeesy, and not in a good way. Maybe his work in this role on Broadway reads well on stage; but in the medium of film, it makes me want to throw the fuck up. Mortifying. I am SO GLAD I saw the old one before I saw this one, or I may have skipped the original altogether. This newest one was so hyped, I expected it to be at least good. But no...just goes to show that if you spend enough on marketing, you can make anything look appealing, even this tripe.

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.