Sausage, Spinach, & Egg Cups



As I have noted in past posts, breakfasts on Whole30 are definitely going to be the toughest for me. Not because the recipes are not good, but because...I don't normally eat breakfast. So going to a lot of work to have a balanced breakfast with proteins and VEGETABLES (what?!) is going to be challenging.

I made these little guys because they are similar to other breakfast cups I have made in the past. This is with 100% less cheese, no milk, and amps up the veg with the addition of spinach and mushrooms. I would love these with green pepper, too, in a Denver omelette kind of range of flavors, but I am hoping my husband will want to eat these, too, and he prefers to limit bell peppers in his meals.


INGREDIENTS
1 pound Hot Italian sausage (Isernio's is compliant and our favorite)
2 large onions, finely chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, rough to finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 oz bag of torn fresh spinach
16 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or more to you your taste



DIRECTIONS

Crumble sausage into large pan, cooking over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove sausage, then sauté the onions, mushrooms, garlic and seasonings until vegetables are tender, adding oil if needed.

Add spinach in batches; cook over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes or until spinach begins to wilt. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and hot pepper sauce. Return sausage to skillet, breaking it up with your fingers into smaller pieces as you incorporate it so it gets good distribution in the veg mix.

Line two cupcake pans with liners. Fill each cup half way with the sausage mixture. Pour egg mixture over the top to just below the edge of the cup to allow for expansion when baking. Tap the pan down on the counter to make sure egg gets between all the crevices.

Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove to cooling rack.

Eat immediately while warm. YUM! Will store in the fridge for a week. If freezing, let cool on counter, then freeze individually on a baking sheet. Once frozen toss into a large ziplock bag. Remove and thaw in fridge or cook from frozen in microwave. 

No comments


PLEASE VISIT MY DANCE BLOG!


On this blog I share my personal posts about cooking and knitting, travel and other musings; while I will blog about dance-specific topics over on the Deep Roots Dance blog:
http://www.deeprootsdance.com

I hope you will enjoy both my sites. Thanks for visiting!
Powered by Blogger.